Friday, December 19, 2008

Ramblings of an aspiring writer


In an earlier post I blogged about entering my first contest. Well, I found out today that the list of winners doesn't come out until April 2009. The winners will be notified 10 days before the winning stories are published.

Like I said before, I'm new to this. So, today was spent working on my MS and planning to enter more contests. I got 8 pages on my MS today. I try to get at least 5 a day so, I at least made my quota.

I try to learn from successful authors. Laurell K Hamilton does a mandatory page count as part of her daily MS goal. That's where I picked that up from. I also listen to other authors when they talk about having a thick skin. Still working on that one. It's hard to have a thick skin when you pore so much of yourself into creating characters and their world. You kind of get attached to them, almost like they are real people.

I've been studying, reading and listening to a lot of successful authors and what amazes me the most is, some authors ability to produce and write so prolifically. Dean Koontz and Nora Roberts are two that come to mind. It's nothing for them to have two best sellers on the shelf at the same time.

Authors like L A Banks amaze me with the ability to write in almost any genre. Not only does L A write in several genres but, she does it well. I'm a big fan of her VHL series so, that lead me to read other books written by her. I really like her style.

Well, real life intrudes. My youngest is calling. She has a head cold. It's time to put on another hat. Let's see...wife, writer, nurse and Mom. Let's combine the nurse and Mom hat. That will work. Mommy nurse is coming sweetie.

Melissa NC

No comments: